Monday, March 4, 2013

Meet Bishop-Wisecarver's Newest Regional Sales Manager Chris Haltom

Chris joined the Bishop-Wisecarver team at the beginning of the year, bringing with him a wealth of enthusiasm! If you're located in the Southwest region, email him at chrish@bwc.com to learn more about how we work with manufacturers to engineer, manufacture, and build linear and rotary motion solutions, custom complex assemblies, and optimal embedded intelligence systems. Welcome to the team, Chris!

Question: Tell us about your background and your education.
Answer: I went to Texas A&M University and earned a B.S. in industrial distribution. I’ve worked in the power transmission industry since 1995 and my most recent experience was at THK for over five years.

Question: What do you like about sales?
Answer: I really like the problem-solving aspect. I like being able to help the customer find a solution to the issue they’re working on.

Question: What do you enjoy most about working with engineers?
Answer: I appreciate the fact that they’re so conceptually focused, and that they’re looking for the best solution to the problem.

Question: What challenges arise from selling a product based on features and benefits?
Answer: Sometimes the features and benefits don’t match the customers’ needs. Features and benefits at times will not directly address a problem or issue.

Question: What makes for a good selling relationship with a customer?
Answer: Understanding exactly what is important to that customer.

Question: If sales were a team sport, what would it be and why?
Answer: I would have to say soccer. I used to play soccer, and the reason it’s like soccer is because if everyone does not work together then you cannot achieve the end result.

Question: Speaking of sports, what’s your favorite team or teams?
Answer: For basketball, the Dallas Mavericks; for hockey, the Dallas Stars. For football, I like Texas A&M, and for soccer, I follow FC Dallas, a professional team.

Question: What do you like to do outside work?
Answer: I have six kids, so taking care of them takes up most of my time. They range in ages from 6 to 18. I also love to cook. I make mostly Mexican food, Italian food, barbeque, and I'm a decent baker, too.

Question: What’s your favorite coffee beverage? Cream, no cream, sugar, no sugar?
Answer: Black.

Question: Favorite quote?
Answer: “Living the dream.” I don’t remember who said that, but I picked that up from a former coworker. That describes my life right now.