Monday, August 23, 2010

Q&A with Mechanical Engineer Ricardo Iraheta


Get to know Bishop-Wisecarver's Mechanical Engineer Ricardo Iraheta!

The bilingual speaker joined our company in December of 2008. He is one of two Spanish speaking mechanical engineers on our world-class engineering team. Originally from San Salvador, El Salvador, Iraheta holds a BS in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California at Santa Barbara.

Question: Why did you want to be an engineer?
Answer: Because I have always liked to solve problems.

Question: Who was your biggest influence in becoming an engineer?
Answer: When I was a kid, my neighbors were engineering students. I would spend a lot of time with them and I would see their projects. It caught my attention. My interest in engineering was born. Then, when I was in high school, my physics teacher was a mechanical engineer. He was awesome. It was because of him that I picked mechanical engineering.

Question: What kind of job experience did you have before joining the BWC team?
Answer: None. This is my first job right after college.

Question: What do you enjoy most about being an engineer?
Answer: The ability to use your imagination.

Question: Any advice to aspiring mechanical engineers?
 Answer: Don't be afraid to share your ideas and to put your imagination to work, but most importantly, don't be afraid to make mistakes and to ask for help. Also, never give up on your dreams.

Question: What's the most rewarding thing about being an Engineer?
Answer: My customer's satisfaction. To be able to help a customer make the right choice. To be a leader.

Question: What do you like to do outside of work?
Answer: I love soccer (the real football, lol). I have been playing it ever since I remember. I also enjoy listening to music, although to be honest, after driving so much, I don't even listen to the radio anymore. Also, I definitely like going to the movies. My favorite types of movies are mystery, historical and of course, comedy.