We're pleased to announce that we'll be attending a couple industry summits and trade shows next week: AHTD 2012 Fall Meeting in Quebec, Canada, and the annual PTDA Industry Summit in Dallas, TX. Prepping for the two events has made this week zip by in record time. But we're eager to share with you news and views that flickered across our Twitter feed since Monday. To keep up with us in the future, follow us at @BWCnews. Happy Friday, friends!
1. Manufacturing Needs a Brand Makeover via Industry Week: Eileen Markowitz, President of Thomas Industrial Network (which owns ThomasNet.com), says the U.S. manufacturing sector needs to re-evaluate its branding. "When I was growing up, it seemed like everyone believed the United States manufacturers made the greatest products in the world," she writes. "From our home appliances to our cars, we all chose Made in America products for their quality and value." Today, she says, the industry has lost much of that allure, which has made it difficult to recruit and fill skilled manufacturing jobs. What do you think about the "branding" of American manufacturing?
2. BWC to Exhibit at Pack Expo 2012 in Chicago on www.bwc.com: That's right! We'll join hundreds of other exhibitors in the packaging processing and machinery industry to exhibit at the 2012 Pack Expo trade fair in Chicago. Our CEO Pamela Kan will attend this one, so stop by to say hi. We will showcase our new MadeWell® Radial Wheels as well, so be sure to ask to see that demo at booth # N-5726.
3. Supersonic Flying Wing Nabs $100K From NASA via Tech News Daily: We love 90 degree angles! We learned this week that NASA gave a six-figure dollar amount to fund manufacturing an aircraft shaped a lot like a four-point ninja star. The aircraft flies faster than the speed of sound by making a simple 90-degree turn in midair.
4. Packaging and Recycling Industries Work Together in Packaging Digest: Since we're key players in the packaging and processing industry, we keep abreast of the latest packaging-related news. This article we found interesting because it talks about how recycling and packaging are doing more to team up, in part because the recycling industry is largely supported by packaging. Click through to read more about the "sibling-like" relationship between the two manufacturing/processing sectors.
5. Manufacturing Day Infographic from the U.S. Census Bureau: The census bureau joined hundreds of other manufacturers in the U.S. and across the globe in celebrating the first annual Manufacturing Day last week. The federal agency put together this infographic about the industry to illustrate the place of manufacturing in the American economy. Interesting stats here!
|Credit: U.s. Census Bureau|