Happy Friday from your favorite manufacturer of linear guides ;) So much happened this week that it'll be tough to sum up just ten of our favorites. Between a product launch, a new infographic, a trade show in Canada and many other things, the days and all our conversations have blurred together. Here's a look at what caught our interest this week ... hopefully it interests you too. For more of these gems, follow us at @BWCnews. Enjoy your weekend!
2. Making Language Learning Social on Fast Company: It's common knowledge that full immersion is the most effective way to learn a language — beats interacting with a CD recording during rush hour. That's why this new language teaching app called Voxy is so brilliant. It delivers news, articles and other media you consume all day anyway, but presents it in whatever language you're trying to learn. Sounds like it just might work ...
3. A Mapped Visualization of Facebook Check-Ins on Forbes: We've been obsessed with this guy's infographics ever since we discovered him through some random tweet earlier in the week. This one in particular caught our eye: It's a map that shows locations people cited using the "check-in" app on Facebook. If you didn't already know about Jon Bruner, who's a Forbes editor, check out his personal website. He's a master at minding data and presenting it in an easy-to-understand format.
4. How Prometheus Got Its Atmosphere on Fast Company: The new Ridley Scott blockbuster may be a work of fiction, but they consulted science to make sure it presented it realistically. Here's an interesting look at how Hollywood and science met in the middle.
5. [ INFOGRAPHIC ] Ten Facts From NASA on BWC.com: We published our latest infographic this week, so feel free to download, print and hang it up! It's something we did in honor of National Science Month, which actually took place in May. Let us know what you think! Also, tweet us a pic of it taped up in your office!
6. Triage 2.0 via Fast Company: Do you hate waiting in line at the doctor’s office or at the ER? Well, now you don’t have to suffer for long! It is now possible to send a picture of any medical problem to your doctor, who will provide you with instructions for care or refer you to another doctor within the hour for treatment. Read this article to learn more about how you can avoid the doctor’s office and get quick treatment. How convenient!
7. The Unique Uses of Bananas and Playdough via MakeyMakey on Youtube: Watch this cool video featuring a banana acting as a spacebar and play dough serving as a gaming pad. You’ll never guess what’s being used to play Dance Dance Revolution!
8. The World’s Biggest Boeing is Now in theAir! on Wired: The largest plane in the world, Lufthansa’s Boeing 747-8, took flight from Germany this week. However, a bigger plane does not equate to more seats. The aircraft is spacious, with only eight seats taking up the whole of first class. Say goodbye to limited leg room and cramped aisles!
9. Tips for Recent Graduates via Vocus Careers: From updating important contact information to thanking recruiters and hiring managers after interviews, this blog lists some really helpful tips for successfully carrying out the dreaded task of finding a job after graduation. A must-read for all graduates on the job hunt!
10. Great Wall of China Even Bigger Than We Thought via Science Channel: The Great Wall of China has always been vast, but it is now estimated to be twice as long as was previously thought. In 2009 it was estimated to extend 5,500 miles. Now, studies indicate that is covers over 13,000 miles. Read this article to learn more about the expansive structure. It is amazing what centuries of hard work can accomplish!